My 1st NC Snow Day

I moved to Raleigh, North Carolina last August for a Kindergarten teaching job.  I lived in the same suburb of Ohio since I was 2 years old so it has been an experience to live somewhere new and unfamiliar to me.  Besides the drastic changes in the schools, the weather has been an adjustment.  I love sunshine and warm weather-- especially in the winter months when I am used to brutal cold temperatures below 0.

This "winter" North Carolina has mostly been in the 50s and 60s, except last weekend.  On Friday we were expecting a big ice storm.  Coming from Ohio where snow and ice is normal, I expected a dusting here.  However, apparently every person goes to the grocery store to buy milk and bread at any chance of winter weather coming.  Why?  I don't know.

I was actually taken aback by what I saw Friday afternoon.  The way Ohio and North Carolina reacts and treats winter weather is incredibly different.
View from my apartment window.  If you look closely at the road and concrete by the pool- it's all ice.

My car on Saturday after .75 inch of ice and snow.

Joke was on me- took over an hour to de ice my car.  Look at how thick that ice is!

Over the weekend 50,000+ people in my county lost power.  Some are still without power.  I had a snow day on Friday and today.  Then tomorrow I have a 3 hour delay.  In Ohio we only had 2 hour delays so the option of 2 or 3 hour delays is new to me.

Even though it is 50 today and supposed to be 60 tomorrow, I am going to enjoy this "winter" weather.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments

Post a Comment