Thriving in December

Elementary teachers everywhere know how busy December is.  With only 13 days, there is so much content to cover.  Our student's can't afford to have teachers that are only in survival mode.  I believe in maintaining the structure and routine of the classroom while including additional resources to support their excitement.  Hence the title, THRIVING in December.
December is all about kindness and giving.; both in and out of the classroom.  This year I decided to join Cupcakes n Curriculum's RAK Club.  I want my students to make a positive contribution to society so I am very passionate about being a role model for my students.
To launch this campaign, students filled out a RAK Club Application.  Then each student received a RAK Club Journal.  Inside the journal students record their act of kindness, why they did it, and reflect on how it benefitted someone else.  
In addition, my students also have been writing kind notes to each other.  Melts my heart to see how excited they are to thank someone else.  They even come in each morning asking if they can write them.  Students are also witnessing that a small act of kindness can make someone's day.
Snowman Numbers: FREEBIE
Winter Story Problem Task Cards: PURCHASE
The students are excited for the holidays and so curious how many days left of school.  I took this to my advantage and created the winter break countdown, which started December 2nd when students returned from Thanksgiving Break.
On the left is shown how many days left until winter break. Then on the right are addition and subtraction story problems (with and without regrouping).  Students have a recording sheet at their seat, which they need each morning as part of our math warm up.  I love this because we are reviewing key math concepts from this semester while still having fun.  Plus, it is one problem each day so it is very easy to maintain.
Winter Break Marshmallow Reading Challenge: FREEBIE
Teachers have varying points of view when it comes to reading logs.  I came across this Winter Break Marshmallow Reading Challenge and thought it would be so fun for my students.  Although I want them to enjoy the time with their family, I still want them to read over break.  
If you look at the sheets above, each marshmallow represents 20 minutes of reading.  There are 2 pages of marshmallows with different sayings such as "read by the fireplace".  Definitely a change up from the typical reading routine.

My next post will be on our Author Celebration.  

No comments

Post a Comment