A Child's Reading Level - Part 2

So you assessed your students and you know the level each child is reading at... what do you do now?

Understanding the Reading Level
Most school districts will provide you with the grade level expectancy for beginning, middle, and end of the school year for formal reading assessments such as the DRA or Fountas and Pinnell.  Once you obtain that information, you can begin to see which students are at, above, and below benchmark.
This product can be purchased HERE
I love this product because I can quickly access what characteristics a reader should exhibit for each reading level.  Although running records help me determine when a child should move reading levels, this can be used when you need to see a breakdown of each reading level.

What do I do with this information? 
 I create a document with 4 columns: student's name, special services (IEP, ELL, etc) reading level, and notes.   In the notes column I add specific areas they need work on such as decoding, sight word recognition, applying strategies, or comprehension.

Once I type in the information, I color code student names so I can quickly glance to see where students are at.
Blue = above grade level
Green = at grade level
Yellow = approaching grade level (borderline)
Red = below grade level

How do I plan for instruction?
Keep in mind, reading groups fluctuate and changes should be made at any point in the school year, not just when the DRA is given.  Since you have new information about each child, make sure they are placed in the appropriate group.

I use the comprehension sticks and have students pick a question to answer.  Students enjoy picking their own question.

These cards have questions for before, during, and after reading.    

Both of the products above can be found HERE

The key is to examine any gaps.  Whatever area a child needs to work on, provide extra practice with word work, comprehension, or guided writing activities.   Regardless of how your class scored on the mid-year benchmark, it is never to late to make an instructional change to help your students grow.

I am SO grateful that my school offered to buy a copy of Jennifer Serravallo's book, The Reading Strategies Book.  If you are in need of strategies to uses for a student or reading group, I strongly recommend her book.  The structure of the book is easy to follow along with and find goals, strategies or anchor charts based on a reading level.

No comments

Post a Comment