7 Ways I Organize My Instructional Materials

Anyone that knows me would say I am organized.  I believe an organized classroom leads to efficient use of instructional minutes and provide structure that young students need.  Below are different ways I organize instructional materials to make my days go smoothly.

1. Happy Planner Teacher Edition
If you want to purchase the hole punch to customize your planner, click HERE

 I used an Erin Condren teacher planner for 4 years, but I thought it was a little pricey for a planner that you only use for 1 school year.  I went with the Happy Planner teacher edition, which was much cheaper and offered similar benefits.  It is just as cute and functional.  If you want to personalize your planner, purchase the Happy Planner hole punch then you can add in your own pages to fit your needs.

2. Sight Words
Purchase HERE
This rainbow cart has lasted me for 4 years and counting.  I previously used it to store daily materials, but last year I decided to use it for sight word activities during reader's workshop.  Each student has a personalized sight word list and selects a word work drawer.  Some activities students complete are rainbow words, magic words, hide and seek, dot to dot words....  It is easy for students to use this system independently and clean up is a breeze.

3. Daily Materials
Purchase Sterilite drawers HERE
(I ordered 2)
Using 2 sets of the 3 drawer bins, I put all of my daily activities in the corresponding drawer.  The only downside is hardback cover books don't fit comfortably within the drawers, but besides that this system works for me.

4. Themed Unit Activities
I purchased these bins from Costco.
As a Kindergarten teacher I found it works best to plan in themed units.  Some themes my team does are colors, apples, pumpkins, and gingerbread.  Each bin is devoted to a unit and holds any crafts, games, or activities I need.  I keep my themed read alouds in separate bins within my classroom library so students have access to those titles anytime in the school year.

5. Math Manipulatives
                             .       
                      Purchase purple Sterilite bins HERE (link is for a set of 12 with blue clip)

I LOVE these bins.  They are sturdy and easy for the students to access what they need.

6. Math Centers
                                                  
                                                        Purchase cart HERE 
                                                         (I purchased 2 carts)
Students complete 2 centers per day with their partner or small group.  Within each bin are differentiated games / activities and materials. During math workshop, 1 person in the partner or group is responsible for getting the bin and placing it in an assigned area of the classroom so when it is time to switch, students know where to go.

7.  Themed Read Aloud Display
I highly recommend using one of these shelves (or a similar alternative) to display picture books.  Before each theme or author study, I place the read alouds I need on the shelf.  Students have access at any time and it builds their excitement when they see the books change on the shelf.


2 comments

  1. Awesome recommendations (as usual)! Do you have a trick for using the Happy planner punch for 11 discs since the punch only has 9? I totally chewed up my pages I wanted to add just trying to punch them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aubrey,

    I changed the link for you. The new link has a hole punch that works for 11 discs. I read the description and questions so I think it would work with your planner.

    ReplyDelete