Reflect and Refresh {Part 1} Plus Summer Reading List for Teachers

I am linking up with my friend Amber from Peppy Zesty Teacherista for a 2 part linky to reflect and refresh on our school year.
Communication I created a classroom Twitter account.  At first I was unsure about it, but the parents were really supportive.  Many parents commented that they enjoyed getting a peek into our daily learning experiences in the classroom, which helped foster conversations at home.

Classroom Management/Organization I read about Responsive Classroom and Teaching with Love and Logic. Both books really made me think about my classroom management and they align with my philosophy.  I feel much better about my classroom management.

Content This school year I worked hard to improve my writing instruction.  I follow a workshop model and like to use Lucy Calkins along with my units.  My goal was to give students more choice in their writing and improve my individual conferences with students.

My Big Summer Project This summer I am thrilled to be blogging more frequently.  I am participating in a book study for Teaching with Intention and other weekly link ups.

I am linking up with Lucky to be in First for her Summer Reading List for Teachers linky.

My list of books:
Teaching with Intention by Debbie Miller: Greg Smedley is hosting a weekly linky party so teachers can share their thoughts on each chapter.  Check his blog every Wednesday to see which teacher blogger is hosting a chapter.  

Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay and David Funk (2010 version): I am re reading this book.  Fantastic book for classroom management!

More Than Guided Reading by Cathy Mere: Although there is an emphasis on guided reading especially in the primary classrooms, the author talks about other ways to help our students gain independence such as strengthening our focus lesson and allowing our students to read from self selected texts.

Reconsidering Read Aloud by Mary Lee Hahn: This book provides suggestions for selecting appropriate read alouds and teaching strategies that match read alouds.

If you have any suggestions for non-teacher related books I should read this summer, let me know.  I could use some fun books for the beach in July!

Have a great week!  Here is to hoping it doesn't rain the entire week like the weather says it is supposed to...


No comments

Post a Comment