Monday, March 28, 2016

Quiet Mouse - A Classroom Management Strategy

I am finally on spring break.  It is so nice to be home with family and friends.  I am kind of disappointed that I am not at the beach this year, but there are many beaches in North Carolina so I am sure I can make up for it at a different time.

Coming inside from recess was a difficult transition for students.  I felt this transition could be used more efficiently.  I allow students to get a drink of water before coming to the carpet for our vocabulary mini lesson.  In order to try to make this time of day less hectic,  I use this friend for some reinforcement.

Yes, it is a mouse puppet that our dance teacher gave me.

So how does it work?

To launch the idea: As students are getting a drink of water and coming to the carpet, I pick 1 student who was quiet and respectful the entire transition.  The student I choose keeps the quiet mouse until recess the following day.  Then, that student sits in the rocking chair at the front of the room after recess to watch for a new quiet mouse.  Once a new quiet mouse is selected, then the game continues each day.

Students are allowed to be quiet mouse more than once.  They are chosen by their peers based on who is displaying positive behavior the entire transition.

Other ways to adapt this in your classroom:
-Walking in the hallway
-Using the restroom
-Working quietly during independent time such as writer's workshop

I have done this for over a month now and my students still are very enthusiastic about earning the quiet mouse.  They enjoy reading to their mouse friend.
 I hope this strategy can be used in your classroom as well.

**I saw this idea somewhere on Pinterest, but could not find the original creator.  If you know who it is, let me know so I can give credit to the quiet mouse idea.**

Happy Spring!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute idea, Allie! I'm going to share with our kinder teachers! :-)

    ReplyDelete