Sunday, May 3, 2015

Together We Are Better {Parent Communication}

I am linking up with Ashley from Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd and Angie from Lucky Little Learners to share how I partner with families to ensure they know our daily learning experiences in the classroom.  It is essential to communicate with parents what their child is learning in school.  Families should be kept in the loop.  I work hard to build and maintain positive relationships with my student's families.

"Every child in your class is someone's whole world"

Something to always remember

I communicate with families in a variety of ways and I hope one of these can help you in the classroom:

WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND LEARNING EXPERIENCE COLLAGE
Here is a blank sample of my weekly newsletter.  I include what we accomplished in each subject during the week, upcoming content for the following week, and notes.

I also include a separate document for a learning experiences collage.  It is a collection of pictures from the week.  

My newsletter and learning experiences collage are sent home via e-mail on Fridays.  

CLASSROOM TWITTER ACCOUNT
 I created a classroom Twitter account to document our learning experiences.  I have a Twitter account for my professional growth and a separate account to use with families.  Each tweet is 140 characters so it is a quick, but effective way to communicate with families.  I tweet every day; mostly with pictures.  This really gives parents a glimpse into the classroom.

CAUGHT BEING GOOD NOTES
Positive reinforcement is so important in the classroom.  I aim to send home 2 positive notes a day.  

CLASSROOM EVENTS
One of my favorite days of school this year was our Author Celebration when we completed our informational writing unit.  Out of 20 students everyone had a family member come support their child's new learning.  I know I am very blessed to have that support.  From my perspective, it was incredible to see the interaction and have the opportunity to talk to the parents.  It reminded me that we are all in this together.

Next year I also plan to use Remind as a communication tool with families.

2 comments:

  1. You've got multiple ways to communicate, which is SO beneficial in today's busy world! I think you will love using Remind - it's so easy and goes right to a person's cell phone. I love how you have set a goal to send home 2 positive notes a day - it keeps the intentions actionable when they can be measured!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Allie! I so appreciate how you ensure that your message makes it home. Regardless of how hectic things get, the message is so important to our parents and community!
    Great stuff!
    Craig

    ReplyDelete