Friday, January 30, 2015

Five for Friday- January 30

I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday linky.  I had another 4 day week, but it was still very busy!  We celebrated our 100th day today, but more on that in a future post.

I love the responsive classroom.  A team member recommended this book to me.  I am going to read it over our long weekend in February.  If you have read it, did you like it?
I bought these on my unexpected Snow Day Monday.  I didn't even know flair pens come in a 20 pack.  I was so excited because I use flair pens daily.
On Thursday we had freezing rain in the morning on the way to school.  I had maybe 1/3 of my students arrive to school on time.  It was horrible timing because the freezing rain was from 7-9 am.  Thankfully everyone made it to school safe.  Needless to say it was the most talked about topic all day.

I used this to my advantage and we listened to an article on Wonderopolis about why ice is slippery.   With Wonderopolis we reviewed non fiction and states of matter.  I really love that it reads the article to you and highlights where they are reading.
FREEBIE: HERE
I needed to change things up and these attention getters are perfect.  My student's favorite is "macaroni and cheese" "everybody freeze".  
FREEBIE: HERE
We do flexible grouping for math.  It feels like I have a lot of boys in my class.  With the Super Bowl this weekend, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to use their interests.  
DISCLAIMER: I actually don't know who I want to win.  In fact, I didn't know who was in the Super Bowl until a few days ago.  Oops.
Now that is off my chest… we started math by doing a quick survey to see who the students think will win.  My district uses Singapore Math so we are currently doing our problem solving unit, which includes bar models and open number lines.  I had the students create their own word problems with a connection to the Super Bowl.  Everyone was so engaged!!  The conversations I overheard made me such a proud teacher.  And yes, the girls enjoyed it too.  I told the students to be creative with their Super Bowl problem- students used players, points, visitors, and food as their topic.
Once everyone finished creating and solving their problem, we sat in a circle at the carpet.  Each student read their word problem and the class had to determine if you need to add or subtract to solve their problem.  With each problem, I asked how they knew if they needed to add or subtract.  We are really focusing on vocabulary.

Have a wonderful weekend!  

4 comments:

  1. I love colored pens, too! Wonderopolis is a great site - it really gets students thinking more about the questions they have and it usually results in even more questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was actually my first time using it and I loved that it sparked interest in so many students.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the freebie! Attention-getters are my go-to with my group this year!
    We had a Love & Logic PD for our school several years ago and it was very inspiring! I still review my notes and reread the book every August. "Bummer!" is a huge part of my vocabulary ;)
    Where in Ohio do you live? I'm originally from Dayton. Thanks again, Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read it! I live in Columbus. I went to the University of Dayton for my undergrad!

      Delete