Friday, January 16, 2015

Five for Friday- January 16

Is it too early to ask if spring is coming?  Last week I had 2 snow days and a delay.  Although this 5 day week felt long, I am so happy that students could enjoy an outdoor recess today!
On Monday my principal let us show our Buckeye spirit at school in honor of the championship game.  Although you can't tell, I am wearing an Ohio State Buckeyes long sleeve.     
This week I started teaching my students about making an inference.  I read the 2 books shown above to guide our thinking.  Teaching this comprehension skill is a nice transition to close reading.  Students are really starting to use evidence from the text.
We have been talking about the scientific process and did a few experiments to put our new learning to life.
OREO: Before starting the experiment, we created a question, hypothesis, and reviewed what the procedure looks like.  Then as a class we did 2 trials of OREO stacking.  Through this students also learned that certain variables can positively or negatively affect the experiment.
M & M: Each table needed 2 M & Ms (color doesn't matter) and 2 cups.  1 cup needed to be filled with warm water and the other with cold.  Students recorded their observations at the start and after 3 minutes in addition to writing a conclusion.  
I have been integrating informational writing with this unit.
Thursday night I took some time to "bake" before watching Parenthood.  This no bake Reese's dessert was perfect!! 
I have been wanting to buy this book since its release in November.  Needless to say I was very excited when this arrived!

                                                        Enjoy your weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I need to by "Waiting Is Not Easy" and read it to my 4th graders. They still struggle with waiting! Your Reese's Dessert looks amazing! Looks like a perfect way to end the week!

    -Tracy
    4th Grade Dynamic Duo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Elephant and Piggie!!! And that dessert looks yummy :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to check out "Waiting is Not Easy" - thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete