Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Veterans Day

Hi everyone!  I finished parent teacher conferences.  I have such nice parents and loved hearing how much their child loves school.  Makes me a very happy teacher!
Moving on to Veteran's Day...
I read this book to guide our learning.  I love the simple language and watercolor illustrations in the book. 
Close reading freebie can be found HERE
Included is a close reading passage, comprehension questions, non fiction text features, vocabulary (using context clues), list why we should be thankful for veterans, and illustrate/write about 2 branches of our military.  Most importantly, it touched on many objectives we are currently working with in class.  Perfect!!
 True/false sort freebie can be found HERE
This is a great follow up activity after your students have background knowledge of Veteran's Day.  I did this at the end of the day to review everything we learned. 
{paper was part of the freebie above}
Veterans were invited to attend breakfast and our town meeting.  (Meeting in our gym/cafeteria).  Only 1 student in my class had a family member attend so the class wrote thank you notes to him the day before. 
 I modeled to the class how to write a letter as well as possible phrases to include in their writing.  

**I don't have a picture of this, but as a class we also discussed character traits of a veteran and completed a veteran can/have/are chart.**

I hope everyone is having a great week so far!



No comments:

Post a Comment