Friday, October 3, 2014

Five for Friday- October 3

I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the Five for Friday linky.


Every teacher has a pet peeve.  Mine is the sound of the pencil sharpener.  I don't know how some teachers let their kids sharpen their pencil whenever they please.  The noise all day would drive me crazy!! 
In attempt to manage pencils better in the classroom, I started the great pencil challenge this week.  If you have not heard of it, go read Ladybug's Teacher Files blog post to learn more.  She explains the challenge and a freebie is included.
Preparation: Pencils were purchased at the dollar store over the summer.  I used washi tape to write student's number.  
We finished day 3 today and it has really helped my students take more responsibility for their pencil.  They are looking forward to our pencil check in.

My outfit today.  We have Casual Fridays at school and I was so excited to wear this new chevron shirt.

Our new chapter book read aloud.  I read this at the end of the day during dismissal.  So far the class loves it and our dismissal routine is more efficient.

Is this Pinterest perfect?  Nope!  
I didn't realize until I finished that I wrote some words crooked... ug!  
We are working on our personal narrative unit in writing.  We are off to a great start, but I noticed many students have the "and" disease.  Don't worry they thought that comment was funny.  I saw this chart on Pinterest and really loved the structure of it.  As you can tell, each stop light represents something.  
Green= Get going words (beginning)
Yellow= Keep on going words (middle)
Red= Time to stop words (end)
I have many visual learners in the classroom so I plan on keeping this up for awhile.

I made this cookie brownie Sunday night and it was delicious!  

3 comments:

  1. Can I please have those brownies? My husband and I just pinkie promised we would start eating healthy and working out tomorrow. I totally wanna binge eat now. Moving on...love the chevron shirt! :) I'm also loving this pencil idea. I read chapter books at dismissal too. We just finished our first Magic Tree House. My kids thought it was the best thing ever! They are just starting chapter books so it's a huge deal! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to check out the pencil challenge. No one tells you when you start teaching that lost and broken pencils and the sound of a grinding pencil sharpener can drive you batty! I like to read at dismissal, but it always seems like announcements start just when I'm getting to the good part. Have a great weekend.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the transition chart, Allie! My kiddos have a bad case of the "So" disease. I think this will work wonders for us!

    Dawn
    Revenge of the Thirds

    ReplyDelete