Friday, October 17, 2014

Five for Friday- October 17

Hey everyone!  I hope you are enjoying the start of fall weather.  I had the day off from school so I enjoyed the extra time to relax before family visits this weekend.  Today I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday linky.
Monday was Columbus Day. Here are some activities we did to celebrate:
I read Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus by Peter Sis during reading workshop.  The colorful illustrations and kid friendly text make this book come to life.  I plan on adding this to my own collection.
1) If I Discovered America.  I was amazed at how detailed and creative their responses were. 
2) During our content time, we watched a Brain Pop Jr. video and mapped Christopher Columbus' journey.  Students wrote 4 new facts that they added to their schema. 
3) Our word study unit this week was suffixes.  In addition to reading the poem (yay fluency!), students  highlighted any words that have a suffix.  
Columbus Day came at the perfect time- I integrated the holiday with our geography unit.  We have been focusing on maps.

What did you do to celebrate Columbus Day?
Every Monday students write a Weekend News.  Although it gives me a glimpse into my student's writing skills, my intention is to learn more about my students.  What do they do when they are not in school?  What interests them?  
My students love that this feels like a real newspaper article.  From the headline (left page) to the illustration, caption, and 5 star rating (right page),  this is a hit.  
Sweet Scoot ELA Junior by Ashley Schroeder:  Purchase HERE
Since the 1st quarter ended yesterday, I wanted to review a few concepts this week. One concept was parts of speech and Ashley Schroeder comes to the rescue.  
  SCOOT is where cards are placed around the room.  For this product, each set has 24 cards.  I love SCOOT because the students are moving around the room as well as reviewing a specific skill.  

My class completed the Appetizing Adjectives and Nom, Nom Nouns section.  
No pictures of this, sorry!
Finally wearing my chevron scarf from the September SLANT box.  
Collared Black Top: Tommy Hilfiger
Maroon Leggings: Charlotte Russe
Boots: DSW- Audrey Brooke
Credit: buzzfeed.com
Did anyone else hear about this?  FRIENDS is one of my favorite television shows.  I typically watch FRIENDS late at night so I am even more excited that I will be able to watch it at any hour.

What are your plans for the weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Allie!.. I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the Liebster award! You can see your nomination here:

    A Touch of Class: Liebster Award

    ReplyDelete