Friday, September 5, 2014

Five for Friday- September 5

I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday linky.  For my #compelledtribe, our topic is technology in the classroom.  I selected 5 apps/websites that I use in the classroom.
Last year my principal brought up a valid point during a staff meeting that I still think about today.  Even though many schools are blessed to have updated technology, teachers need to reflect on WHY they use technology in the classroom.  My principal said "don't use it just to use it".  Meaning that technology is meant to ENHANCE your lesson.  Next time you want to use technology in the classroom, stop and think about how it will help meet your lesson or unit objective.  
Twitter
Follow me at: Abond013
 I created a Twitter account over the summer because there are so many benefits.  Through Twitter I can collaborate with teachers, share ideas, receive feedback, and participate in chats.  There are chats every night of the week.  What I love most is that there is always someone in the chat that makes me consider a different point of view.  Most importantly, I can Tweet whenever and wherever.  I love having access to my PLN at any moment.  Twitter is the best form of Professional Development out there because it is individualized.

Many teachers use Twitter in their classrooms as a way to communicate with parents.  Although many teachers communicate through means such as weekly newsletters, Twitter allows others to SEE what you are doing.  Plus Twitter is quick; each Tweet has a 140 character limit.  Users can decide whether to make their account public or private.  Many districts, superintendents, schools, principals, teachers, and classrooms have created Twitter accounts.  If you don't already have an account, I encourage you to create one.
Go Noodle 
If you have not heard of Go Noodle brain breaks I highly recommend you check it out.  If you are an elementary teacher, Go Noodle is perfect for you.  When our students are active they learn better. 

How it works: Most teachers I know use a Smartboard or projector to view the brain breaks.  Students earn minutes to grow a classroom champ.  They love to watch their classroom champ change!  Dance the wiggles away!

Go Noodle is on social media if you want to learn more.  
Remind
Formerly known as Remind 101, Remind is an easy, free, and safe way for teachers to communicate with parents or students.  Teachers never see their parent's/student's phone number and vice versa.  Remind works for any grade level or subject.  The one way messaging is fast and saves teachers time.  Although e-mail is a common form of communication, Remind can be used for those last minute reminders.  

To learn more or sign up, go HERE 
Kidblog
I have seen Kidblog take over elementary classrooms in the past year.  As teachers we need to emphasize to our students the importance of having a POSITIVE digital footprint.  Kidblog's top priority is safety.  Teachers have control over all of their student's blogs.  Student blog posts are private by default.  Only teachers and classmates have the ability to view the blog.  I really like that Kidblog values teachers moderating their student's content.  If you are an intermediate teacher, I have seen Kidblog integrated with Genius Hour.

Learn more about Kidblog HERE

Do!
Do! is a free to do list app.  
This is what the app looks like.  It is very user friendly.  As you can see, to add a new task simply type in the box.  Each task can be edited as needed.
Once a task is completed, you can double click to cross it off.  Another option is to slide your finger to delete the task completely.
On your home screen, the app will show you how many unfinished tasks you have.  The number changes automatically as you add or complete tasks.

I actually don't use this app for school because I already have my own system in place that works for me.  I know many teachers like this app so I figured it was worth sharing.  I use it for "life reminders" such as laundry, grocery shopping, etc.  Download the app for free.

Other technology worth sharing:
-Voxer app {walkie talkie}
-FreshGrade {online student portfolio

What other technology do you like to use in the classroom?
Come back Monday to read about a new reading resource I have been working on.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you have fabulous ideas, Allie! I'm in a 1:1 district and what your principal said about technology is so true. In regards to Go Noodle and Twitter, we fans of both in our district. I've never heard of "DO!", but will be checking it out. Thanks for the tips. :) It looks as if you're new to blogging by the look of your blog archive. My blog was *born* in July as well. I'll be following you on Bloglovin' to learn lots!
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind feedback, Colleen! I love that you are in a 1:1 district. I followed your blog as well.

      Delete
  2. I love the name of your blog!!! I have got to try Go Noodle!!! Thanks for the reminder:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your class will LOVE Go Noodle!

      Delete
  3. Great ideas! I use KidBlog with my 8th graders -- it's valuable at any age. However, I think your point of using technology to enhance learning instead of to use technology is a powerful reflection. It's a good question to ask at the beginning of any lesson. Thank you for sharing your awesome thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Amy. I am only certified up to 3rd grade so I hadn't realized that KidBlog can also be suitable for older students. Thanks for the kind feedback.

      Delete
  4. Great job Allie! Our teachers love Remind 101, its just a great way for our teachers to make sure that they are communicating with our parents-Think I might try it with our teachers to remind them of things also:) Great job!
    Jarred

    ReplyDelete